Well, Thursday we gave Lil Miss her eviction notice, guess she wasn't too thrilled about that! At 5:30 Friday night my water broke. I felt a "thump thump" and rushed to the bathroom. I barely made it before AF started to run down my leg, soaking my underwear. At first I thought it was just pee, so I started to look for toilet paper, but we didn't have any and it just kept running down my leg and I couldn't stop it. So I took a gander, figured my water and had broken and called the doctor. He told me to go ahead and go to the hospital, so we grabbed my hospital bag, and off we went. Up till then, I had just been feeling slightly crampy, nothing serious. We hit the road at 6, by 6:20 I was contracting. Thats when we hit traffic, there'd been a wreck, so we spent a good ten- to twenty minutes in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Wonderful. We finally made it to the hospital by about 7 pm. By this time I was contracting bad, and dilated 1.5 cm. I wanted a med-free birth, so I tried to ride the contractions out: but didn't count on back labor. I finally asked for some pain meds because it was just too much. I was still at 1.5 cm dilated, and the OB won't give a epidural until dilated at 4 cm so they gave me Nubain. I took it. At that point I turned the tv on in the room and watched old episodes of Reba on Lifetime. By the end of The Protector, however, the Nubain has worn off, and I crying for a epidural. Luckily I was 4 cm dilated, I got the epi at 6 cm. This included a lot of  "I can't"s and crying. I managed to pee myself before they inserted the catheter, and mentioned that to the nurse. :/ After laying back down on the bed, I pretty much passed out.
At 5 am Saturday morning my OB checks me, and I'm ready to go. We do a few practice pushes in, but Lil Miss is still high up, so they raise the bed as far as it would raise in hopes that gravity would pull her down. By about 7, I'm pushing again. However Lil Miss is being stubborn, she's at 0 station and won't go any farther. By 8, they're prepping me for a c-section. They bring in the anathesialogist and give me a whole new epidural because the one I had last night wore off. Like the one before it, I pretty much conked out, so I missed a lot of the actual birth. My dad was in the OR there with me, and he said as soon they pulled Gwen out, the neonatologist scooped her up and started working on her while the OB stitched me up. Then they rushed her to NICU, and I was rolled back to my room. I was pretty much out of it till about 12 when my mother, her ex, her best friend and best friend's husband showed up. Then they moved me to the Maternity ward room.
Around 2, the brought Gwen up to my room from the NICU in the incubator. They had to transfer her to a Children's hospital in Augusta where they've hooked my little girl up to ECMO. So far, she's doing great. Once she's stablized on the ECMO they'll do non-ivasive surgery to repair her hernia.

0 comments:

Post a Comment