It's been one week since Gwen's birth, and it's been an emotional roller coaster. I was released late Tuesday, and spent Wednesday and Thursday healing from the c-section. It's been pretty hard on me, I'm the type who likes to do things for herself, and suddenly I was practically helpless. I needed help getting in and out of the bed, and such forth. Friday we were finally able to drive down to Augusta, and I was finally able to really see my baby girl. Daily phone call updates just weren't cuttting it. Right now I'm staying with Stan's aunt, but I think I might move closer in the Ronald McDonald house; I had thought that it was a 20 minute drive from her house, but it's closer to an hour. On Gwen, I really don't have much to report yet. Her vitals are doing great; she's got a good heartbeat, good blood pressure. She did have pneumothorax, which is a collapsed lung, but that seems to have reinflated. We're praying it stays that way. They're still pumping about 80% oxygen into her blood. She's a stubborn one, they're keeping her paralyzed medically, but she still tries to open her eyes and move. Today, I felt her little fingers wiggle. It brought a smile to my face, even though I understand why they want to keep her paralyzed. I'm looking forward to the day she can grasp my fingers. We're praying that day is soon. The hardest part on seeing her, was that I couldn't hold her and cuddle her like I wanted. They've got these huge tubes in the side of her neck that are pumping out her blood, oxygenating it, and pumping it back into her body. The ECMO machine is huge and awfully scary. I'm praying that she heals enough to get off it soon. I didn't want her on it to begin with, but the doctor's felt it was necessary. And I have to agree, I don't have to like it, but I know that without the ECMO Gwendolyn wouldn't have made it to being one week old.


Mommy kissing Gwen's hand.
Mommy holding little Gwen's hand. It's so very, very tiny.
Little Gwen's feet. It wasn't easy getting a good angle. :(
The ECMO machine she's hooked up to. It's scary!


0 comments:

Post a Comment